Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Movie 13: Raising Arizona


Raising Arizona (1987) by the Coen Brothers
starring Nicolas Cage & Holly Hunter


In a nutshell: Great fun

Content: Raising Arizona is the first two time entry in my log. In the interest of actually keeping track of every movie that I watch, I will be making multiple entries for multiple viewings, complete with any new thoughts that I have.

There were certain aspects of this movie that I liked better the second time around, and certain flaws that became more apparent.

I noticed an extra layer to the action in a few places. For example, recurring camera shots turn up in different places, and I think I may be starting to understand the mysterious biker a little better. He is surely more than just a flesh and bone character.

The chase scene is so much fun. Sonnenfeld's Coen Brothers movies have a different feel to them than the later films that Roger Deakins did with them, which isn't to say that they are better or worse, just different. His fingerprints are all over the chase scene and other key shots. The 1st person perspective, moving camera shots are also prevalent.

The ending is a bit anticlimactic, but it's ok. Nicolas Cage as the narrator describing his dreams isn't really how I wished it would end, but I can't really think of a better one.

The movie is a tight 90 minutes. The Coen brothers did a good job keeping the action moving at a brisk pace. The comedy also prevents the story from ever getting stale. It did not occur to me until just now, but there is remarkably little to this story. It takes gifted filmmakers to create a feature length film that never drags with such a thin story.

Rolling Rankings:
1. Pulp Fiction (#8)
2. Napoleon Dynamite (#5)
3. A Prairie Home Companion (#11)
4. Raising Arizona (#13)
5. Grave of the Fireflies (#4)
6. The Illusionist (#9)
7. Dr. No (#7)
8. Little Children (#12)
9. Fahrenheit 9/11 (#10)
10. Heist (#6)

key:
masterpiece
excellent
good
mixed bag
more bad than good
garbage

No comments:

Post a Comment