Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Movie 147: Punch-Drunk Love


Punch-Drunk Love (2002) by PT Anderson
starring Adam Sandler & Emily Watson


In a nutshell: Spellbinding in a distinctly PT Anderson kind of way. I'm still not sure where exactly he took me, but it was a fun ride anyway

Quick synopsis: Barry Egan is a lonesome man with seven overbearing sisters who copes with stress in some very odd ways.

Content: Adam Sandler's comedies have fallen a very long way since the days of Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison. I think I threw up in my mouth a little in my mouth the first time I saw a preview for You Don't Mess With The Zohan. But snuggly located between two more low points in his filmography, Little Nicky and Mr. Deeds, you can find Punch-Drunk Love. I remember when this movie came out, I was labelled the "Adam Sandler being serious movie" and he received a fair amount of praise for his acting. But all the Sandler chatter

Rolling Rankings:
1. My Cousin Vinny (#138)
2. The Return of the King (#139)
3. Vicky Cristina Barcelona (#143)
4. Punch-Drunk Love (#147)
5. Star Trek (#146)
6. Collateral (#142)
7. Role Models (#144)
8. Religulous (#140)
9. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (#141)
10. Bottle Shock (#145)

key:
masterpiece
excellent
good
mixed bag
more bad than good
garbage

No comments:

Post a Comment