Friday, March 19, 2010

Gerard Butler Is a Tool


IF YOU ARE READING THIS ON BUZZ, CLICK THE LINK FOR YOUTUBE CLIPS

After being bombarded with advertising for an absolutely terrible-looking comedy called The Bounty Hunter for the past month, I feel compelled to rip into its star, Gerard Butler.

The first time I ever saw this guy was as King Leonidas in 300. I loved the movie and he seemed appropriately mysterious and just right for the role. But then I read an article on him in Esquire or GQ or something like that which made him seem kind of full of himself. Then I saw him on a late night talk and he was the worst kind of guest - one who comes prepared with canned stories which aren't remotely funny even though he seems to think they are.

Now he seems to have replaced Hugh Grant/Matthew McConaughey/Patrick Dempsey as the male romantic comedy star du jour and I want him to go away in the worst way. That stupid smug look on his face on the posters first for The Ugly Truth and now for The Bounty Hunter fills me with a rage I haven't felt since the last time I had to spend time at the New Jersey Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Why casting agents think he belongs in a comedy is beyond me. He is decidedly one of the least funny actors I've seen on screen (which is actually what made him good in 300 - a particularly earnest film). I guess the only prerequisite for the cookie cutter roles Grant, McConaughey, Dempsey and now Butler have been filling for a decade now is being eye candy for the ladies. But Butler is so unlikeable that I can't imagine his bizarre-looking, 3-sizes-too-small shirt from The Bounty Hunter can counteract his d-baggery to create a net positive. And the accent! I am not sure I have ever heard a less successful attempt at covering up an English/Scottish/Australian accent while trying to sound American.

I dare you to try to watch this trailer and not hate his smug, boorish guts. Good luck.



This guy had one role he was born to play, and that was King Leonidas. But I am worried that next time I try to watch 300, all I will see is the stupid looking guy from posters like the one below:



I would try to organize a boycott of his movies until her goes away, but for that to work, somebody would have to be going to these movies in the first place. Oh snap!

No comments:

Post a Comment