Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Movie 168: Inglourious Basterds

Inglourious Basterds (2009) by Quentin Tarantino
starring Brad Pitt, Christopher Waltz and Melanie Laurent



In a nutshell: Trademark QT. Brilliant

Quick synopsis: American, French and British operatives try to kill as many Nazis as possible during WWII. They end up with a chance to take down some very senior officers.

Content: When I first heard about the subject of QT's latest, I was a little disappointed. I wasn't really into war movies and preferred that he made something crime-oriented or something original like Kill Bill, especially since he only makes a movie every three years or so. But my worries turned out to be baseless because Inglourious Basterds is fantastic.

Quentin knows how to make a movie. He knows how to carry his viewer off into his world and totally immerse them. Once again, his dialogue is excellent. It doesn't get much better than the 20 minute opening scene which is mostly one conversation so gripping that it never feels slow. Honestly, how many other directors could have pulled that off.

Casting is also great. Some people didn't like Pitt because he is too over the top. But I say if you want to see Pitt trying too hard, watch Burn After Reading, not Inglourious Basterds because QT keeps him under control and uses him beautifully. Diane Kruger is good, and rising star Michael Fassbender too. I even liked Eli Roth AND Mike Myers who seemed to bug other people. I don't care if their acting isn't naturalistic...QT knew what he was doing. The only person I did not like was B.J. Novak of The Office. He did not fit in and was trying too hard to be deadpan at times. Oh well, you can't win 'em all. But I haven't mentioned the best performance of them all yet. Christopher Waltz knocks it completely out of the park as Hans Landa, the "Jew Hunter". He is so evil yet carries out his terrible work with a sly grin on his face. He deserves an Oscar for this role.

As usual the music is perfect and the homages run deep. I'm sure I missed more than half of them.

The title refers to a band of American soldiers running around killing Nazis, but it turns out that they really aren't the main characters. They are, instead, a sort of force running rampant around the main characters who end up stepping into the forefront at the end. They aren't well developed, but that's ok because they are more of a vengeful spirit than actual people.

I can't recommend Inglourious Basterds enough. There is some gore, but my friend and I found ourselves giggling at it. Like most QT movies, he just keeps giving the audience exactly what they want. even if they don't realize it's what they wanted until later. For example, there was bit of a twist in the ending that I had wished for, but then ruled out because it shouldn't be possible. But this is QT's world, not real life, and he gives us the impossible anyway. It is extremely satisfying. I can't wait to watch again.

Rolling rankings:
1. Inglourious Basterds (#168)
2. Do The Right Thing (#162)
3. Duplicity (#167)
4. Battle Royale (#165)
5. Into the Wild (#166)
6. Doubt (#160)
7. Interview With The Vampire (#163)
8. I Love You, Man (#164)
9. The Happening (#161)
10. Fanboys (#159)

No comments:

Post a Comment